Sunday 28 June 2015

Sumac Lamb Chops


Greetings readers! I hope you have all been enjoying the weekend, and that Ramadan is going well for all who are observing it. I can't believe we are already a third of a way through. The weather has been hot with a capital H recently in London, but alhamdulillah fasting has been going well so far. The day does move a lot faster though when I am kept busy with teaching. Just this Sunday afternoon for instance, I actually out of my own free will decided to do some cleaning as I felt I had a little too much time on my hands. And as those who know me personally would agree, it takes a lot for me to be enthusiastic about cleaning...

If you have been keeping up with my instagram feed, I have been posting daily pictures of my iftar meals with my family. I have been endevaouring this Ramadan to try and eat as best as I can and not gorge on traditional fried foods like samosas and pakoras. So far I think I have been doing pretty well and have been incorporating lots of veggies, leafy greens and fruits. I also like to go for simple, minimal fuss recipes where I can just leave something to simmer away slowly on the stove or bake in the oven without me being stuck in the kitchen for ages. These sumac lamb chops would be an ideal type of dish for iftar, as you can just leave it to cook away in the oven whilst you attend to other duties. As they are baked rather than fried, they are a lot easier on the stomach, and if you have some meat-loving males in your families, this is sure to satiate their appetite after a long day of fasting!




I loooove sumac, as you might have already surmised from my Sumac roast chicken post, and this dried Middle Eastern herb gives a subtle tang to the lamb chops. Also, in combination with the yoghurt, the marinade turns a pretty cute pink colour, although it is a little reminiscent of tubby custard...

As you marinade the chops the night before, all you have to do on the day is whack it in the oven. Afterwards, you can choose to finish off the chops either in the grill or on a griddle pan for some slight charring. The longer you marinade the chops, the deeper the flavour will be, however if you are running short on time you can always just marinade it on the morning of cooking. Serve the chops with salad and roasted veggies for a light meal, or some quinoa or rice for a bit more substance.




Sumac Lamb Chops

Serves: 4-6
Prep time: 6-12 hours marination 
Cooking time: 1 hour

500g - 750g lamb chops, fat trimmed off
1 cup natural/greek yoghurt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sumac
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

1) In a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for marinade. Add in the lamb chops and coat well. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinade for 6-12 hours. 

2) Pre-heat oven to 180C and line a roasting tray with foil. Take lamb chops out of fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Place lamb chops on tray and spoon any excess marinade on top of the chops. Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through to your liking. 

3) Once chops are cooked through. finish them off under a hot grill or a stove top griddle to allow them to char slightly.

1 comment:

  1. Wa alaykum asalaam Abida, got your message over on my blog alhamdu'lillah ukhti, we are already nearly half way through Ramadan, can you believe it?! These lamb chops look delicious and succulent, just the kinda food I want to eat at iftar.

    ReplyDelete