Thursday 14 May 2015

Sumac Roast Chicken





Hello, dear readers! I feel I've been in a bit of a daydream lately. The weather has been all over the place, for starters. This whole week, the skies have been so bright and the sun blazing, that it was as though summer had come early. And then suddenly, Thursday was grey and it rained about a whole month's worth of rain! I do like the rain, and I firmly believe it's a blessing from my Lord, but I like to be in the comfort of my own home, wrapped in numerous layers and not trudging around with wet socks....


Recently, I was contacted on behalf of Aafiyah, an up and coming halal poultry brand, who offered me the opportunity to try out their new range. According to their website, their brand is aiming to provide quality products to traditional Muslims with a busy, modern lifestyle. When I heard that, I thought, yep, that's me (this exhausted teacher slept for 10 hours in total last night, guys). They have a range of frozen poultry products, some of which are ready prepared, and all you need to do is throw them into the oven. So I bring you today one of the recipes I put together using Aafiyah's products.

I discovered Sumac last year in the world foods section of my local supermarket and I have totally fallen in love with the stuff. I think to date, it is probably my favourite Middle Eastern flavouring. It has a sour taste, similar to citrus fruits, however, it also has these floral undertones that you would never be able to get lemon alone. The other amazing thing that I love about it, is its vibrant colour. Any food item which mixes with it turns into this beautiful deep rosy hue, and due to its texture, it creates a crispy crunch on poultry and meat when it is roasted or grilled.

Other than the time needed to marinade the chicken, this is pretty much a throw things together in a bowl then shove it in the oven kind of recipe, so very low maintenance. Totally my favourite type of recipe. It is recommended to marinade chicken from 1 hour to overnight. If I'm honest, you can get away with marinading this recipe for just under an hour as the Sumac comes through well.





Sumac Roast Chicken 


Serves: 4-6
Prep time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes


500g Aafiyah original Drumsticks
1 tablespoon Sumac
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper


1) Pre-heat oven to 180ยบC.

2) In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice and spices. Add chicken and stir to combine in mix. Leave to marinade for at least 1 hour.

3) Place marinated chicken on an oven tray and roast in over for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Check that its cooked through by piercing the chicken at its thickest part next to the bone. The juice should run clear.

4) Finish the chicken off either on a cast iron griddle on the stove or under a grill for 5-10 minutes, until the skin of the chicken is crispy and slightly charred. Turn the chicken over halfway through the cooking time to char other side.


5) Serve with potato wedges and grilled corn.


*Disclosure: This post contains sponsored links*

4 comments:

  1. Asalaamu Alaykum, this chicken looks so vibrant and I'm sure the flavours are just that too. Allahumma Baarik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaikum assalam, Umm H! So sorry for the late replies but I have been absent from the blogging world recently. Allahumaa ameen, thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I love sumac! It's one of my favourite spices from the ME too but I don't use it enough. I only remember to bring it out when I'm making kebabs! This chicken looks fabulous! And those potato wedges tho....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As salamu alaikum Nazneen, thank you so much for your kind words! I've read on your blog about your desi/ME fusion style maa sha Allah! I shall have to make a recipe for the potato wedges soon ;)

      Delete